Monday, April 2, 2007

Frustration on Mill Ave.


I thought awhile before posting this audio for a couple of different reasons. First, at the time, I thought the entire encounter was a total failure. Secondly, because of technical reasons, it ends abruptly after about ten minutes. As you will hear, there was a kind of a mish-mash of things happening all at once. While the group pretty much stuck with the topic, it was peppered with silly remarks and distractions. At one point, one guy in their group actually ate the bible tract I gave him. Listening to it now, I am surprised at how I managed to stay on task and that is why I am posting it now. It had to be the Holy Spirit because I'm not that patient.

At times, a conversation will go in a direction you don't want or expect. Especially when there are several people you are talking to at once. Comments and questions come in all at once and often times there is a nervous tension. The key is to stay focused on the gospel you are trying to share. Avoid intellectual argument and stick with the conscience and quote the bible whenever you can either exactly or paraphrased. Notice my reaction to his statement "God hates me."

In the end, I got as far as using the law to bring sin to light, but my iPod microphone got pulled out before the interview ended. Hopefully, the lesson here is to stay on track as best you can when conversations get difficult. Even if it ends up like this one, God can and will use it to His glory. Click here to listen.

--Robert

1 comments:

LorMar said...

It will not always be easy when we witness to others. There are some pretty difficult people out there. I probably would not have agreed with the guy when he declared "God hates me," but I do see the point you were trying to make. Sometimes, the person you think you made no impact on is the person with whom the biggest impact was made. You appeared very calm under the pressure. That may have made all the difference.