Sunday, July 15, 2007

Follow The "Christ"









Yesterday, my doorbell rang. One of my children came in running, "It's a man and a woman!" She had peeked out the side window, as I was about to do, to see who would want to pay us an unannounced visit on a Saturday afternoon. As I peered out, I saw the familiar look; Suit and tie for the man, and a dress for the woman, neither of which looked very comfortable for the 110 degree weather here in the Phoenix area. By now, it was obvious that it was another visit from the Jehovah's Witnesses. As always, I felt unprepared yet wanting to do my best in giving them the true Gospel. I didn't know how this would turn out but I opened the door anyway. To my surprise, they weren't here preaching their creative scripture interpretations, no, they were here to invite me to their upcoming conference. I politely took their flyer and they promptly walked off.


I took a quick glance at the flyer and found something familiar about the wording:


How can following the Christ help you to

  • Improve family life
  • Deal with life's difficult problems?

  • Draw closer to God?

  • Oppose the Devil?

  • Gain everlasting life?

I thought about it for a moment and then it hit me. It bore a striking resembelance to those well written, glossy slick post cards I get from any number of the newest seeker friendly churches popping up all over my community. It's worded to appeal to my felt needs. That is, it's designed to attract me for what the church can do for me and my family. What a sorry state of affairs it is when one of the most corrupted psuedo-Christian cults has caught on to the marketing efforts of much of the modern evangelical church.


Instead of mailing out invitations that emphasize the teaching and preaching of God's Word and the sanctity of spirit filled worship, they have promoted "relevant messages" and a rocking praise band along with a fun place for your children to be entertained. And now that seeker friendly model has been shown to draw in the crowds, to grow churches from public school auditoriums to megachurches in no time flat, the cults have caught on to the marketing and the selling of faith. And to the unbleiever, this flyer from The Watchtower looks just like the modern American Evangelistic model. A new deception from the father of lies.








































3 comments:

Jeff Fuller said...

I like a good rockin' praise band!

Rob said...

Me too, Jeff. But it shouldn't be the lure a church uses nor should it be what makes me decide to attend or not.

Loretta said...

Yea I got this exact flyer. It is so freaky: "The Christ". Right.