Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Tract your progress


I was putting together a top ten list of reasons to use gospel tracts when I came across this list at Transfired Ministries. I have to admit, I was a little dissapointed that they had thought of it first. On the other hand, their list was so cool I had to grab it! So here they are:

Ten reasons to use tracts

1. They are a very economical form of evangelism
2. They work while we sleep
3. They have the ability to get into a house and stay there
4. They are never afraid or show cowardice
5. They are never tempted to compromise their message
6. They never get tired, discouraged or give up
7. They stick to what they have to say and never argue
8. They can present the message when don't have time
9. They can go to places where we cannot
10. They get people in the mood – they only speak when they are read

Maybe you've heard that tracts are ineffective or only used by people too afraid to personally engage others--basically, the easy way out. All I can say to that is try handing out a pack of fifty good tracts without feeling fear. Even if you don't say anything, you'll find yourself picking and choosing who you think will take them, or who you think will mock and ridicule you. It's kind of funny really. What's the worst they could do, laugh at you because you love Christ and want to spread His gospel? Persecute you because you don't want to see people die without having heard the wonderful, generous, kind provision that God has made for them?
By far, the best way to pass out gospel tracts is to find a place with lots of people and just start asking "Did you get one of these yet?" It piques their interest, and you aren't asking them to take something. Most will take one and keep going, some will stop and ask "What is it?" That's my cue to say "It's a gospel tract, I'm out here asking people what they think happens when they die?" It's as easy (and hard) as that. Some will say "No thanks" and keep going. Rarely have I gotten rude responses other than just being ignored. I can deal with that.
By far the best place to find good bible tracts is at Living Waters, the website of Ray Comfort for books, audios, tracts and all sorts of other free resources for evangelist. The photo above shows one of their starter packs which includes many of the different choices you have.

1 comments:

Chris said...

This is my first time visiting your site and I have to say that I love the name!

I posted an article about handing out tracts on my page today -- chrisclouse.wordpress.com

It is about a 67 year old man who was arrested and convicted for handing out tracts at the fair.

Interesting read, very frustrating that one can be arrested and convicted for handing out Gospel Tracts while celebrity drug users are turned loose with only a slap on the hand.