Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Gospel according to The Beatles


I saw this church sign and although surprised, I was not really shocked. I called this church to interview the pastor. I got the receptionist and had a lengthy conversation with her and then received a callback from the pastor sometime later. I don't want to judge motive here, but I do have some questions concerning the plain preaching and teaching of God's Word. The conversation seemed to revolve around methodology and more than once I think I heard my position being referred to as "Pharasitical." I did record the interview, but I see it as a string with several knots in it. I don't want to try to untie those knots here, but suffice it to say, the conversation revolved around methodology. I'll just post the pic and let you wonder why the plain Word of God isn't enough.

5 comments:

Josh said...

The word of God is quick and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword. That's obviously just a bit too powerful for the pastor in question. He doesn't want to accidentally divide asunder between the joint and marrow of anyone's conscience. It'$ more profitable to itch people$ the ear$.

Keith said...

Rob:
I've seen this particular sermon series here in Tulsa, OK as well. I did the same as you-called the church, etc. Same responses. Pretty sad. I saw another sermon series entitled "The Gospel According to the Police" (rock group). Same stuff.

scotsbaker said...

Hello Rob,

I share your concerns about the corruption of the true Gospel. In fact I set up a British website recently called "What Is The Gospel" and the URL is:
http://www.whatisthegospel.org.uk

Feel free to borrow any of my content if it can further the Kingdom.

pastorbrianculver said...

In my hometown of Galesburg, IL they did a gospel presentation according to Elvis! I asked them why they chose Elvis Presley, and they said because he sang gospel songs his whole life. I asked them about the fact that he also did drugs his whole life, he was sexually immoral his whole life and he was not a repentant person. Their response was, John 3:16, he must have believed in Jesus since he sang gospel songs! Pretty sad!!

Rob said...

The devil believes in Jesus and the truth lf John 3:16 too. What a low view of God's holiness.