Thursday, November 15, 2007

Mission: New York Part 2

This audio is of my second open air experience (third ever) on a New York city subway car. There was standing room only. The most encouraging thing about this encounter was that there was a man on the other side of the car that kept making eye contact and nodding. It helped keep me going praise God. He thanked me on the way out onto the platform. After we got off the train, a woman came up behind me and thanked me offering me "good luck" on my mission. That was great to hear too. The blessing here was double: First I got to share the gospel to thirty or forty people, and secondly, I was acknowledged by two other Christians that I hope are now thinking about sharing Jesus with others. After all, part of why I do this is to motivate and mobilize the workers.

Upon listening to this again, I noticed an "amen" from the crowd that I do not remember hearing at the time. Just another confirmation that this message never gets old to the believer. This may sound extreme and fanatical to some, but we know that John the Baptist came preaching as "the voice of one crying in the wilderness..." (Matthew 3:3, Mark 1:3,Luke 3:4,John 1:23) Isn't this exactly what the open air preacher is doing? Like John, we are preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. I heard an evangelist once say "The gospel will be offensive to some, but we don't have to be." Hopefully my concern for the lost comes out in my tone and delivery. Listen here as I preach a short Gospel message of repentance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey R-O-B ! Way T-O G-O!!! you did absolutely perfect. You stepped out in faith and proclaimed the Gospel - Praise G-d!
from: U-Know-Who

Neil said...

Very cool - good for you! I pray that those people will seriously consider your message.

Anonymous said...

You must have a lot of guts to do this on the subway or open air preaching period. There are lots of sharks out there.

LorMarie.com

pastorbrianculver said...

Good for you! Keep it up. Isn't is such a great feeling when you are obedient to God's Word and you step out of your comfort zone to reach the lost? I did a revival in my hometown back in October of this year. Not a single church wanted to be associated with it. What was my message?
The Ten Commandments, the need to repent of sins. and God's grace! Followed by the need to fulfill the Great Commission. Our city is full of churches that follow in the path of Rick Warren of Saddleback and Bill Hybels of Willow Creek Church. Obedience is not a popular theme in the churches here. Please keep Galesburg, IL in your prayers.