Thursday, April 9, 2009

Do Not Forsake Me, Oh Lord!


Excellent wisdom from the "prince of preachers," Charles Spurgeon.



"Do not forsake me, O Lord! Do not be far from me, O my God!" Psalm 38:21


Frequently we pray that God would not forsake us in the hour of trial and temptation; but we too much forget that we have need to use this prayer at all times. There is no moment of our life, however holy--in which we can do without His constant upholding. Whether in light or in darkness, in communion or in temptation--we alike need the prayer, "Do not forsake me, O Lord!"


A little child, while learning to walk--always needs the parent's aid. The ship left by the pilot--drifts at once from her course. Just so--we cannot survive without continuous aid from God.
Let it be your prayer today, "Do not forsake me, O Lord! Father, do not forsake Your child--lest he fall by the hand of the enemy. Shepherd, do not forsake Your lamb--lest he wander from the safety of the fold. Great Gardener, do not forsake Your plant--lest it wither and die! Do not forsake me now, O Lord! And do not forsake me at any moment of my life. Do not forsake me in my joys--lest they absorb my heart. Do not forsake me not in my sorrows--lest I murmur against You. Do not forsake me--for my path is dangerous, and full of snares--and I cannot travel without Your guidance. Do not forsake me--for without You I am weak--but with You I am strong. Do not be far from me, O Lord, for trouble is near--and there is none to help. Leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation!"

Charles Spurgeon


"Hold me up--and I shall be safe!" Psalm 119:117
Re-posted from today's Grace Gems

0 comments: