Monday, April 20, 2009

A Fool for Christ's Sake: The Conversion Story Of Phil Johnson


"If any man among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become foolish that he may become wise" (1 Cor. 3:18).

At age 17 I was interested only in politics. It was 1971, and I had plans to become either an elected official in high office somewhere, or a pundit with a nationally syndicated newspaper column.
Actually, the newspaper column was by far more appealing to me. I couldn't think of anything better than getting paid to write opinions that would infuriate other people.

I was politically conservative (unlike most young people in my generation). For example, I had helped start a chapter of the ultra-conservative Young Americans for Freedom at my school. I was also fairly religious, having been raised in church—though it was an extremely liberal United Methodist Church. I was sure God would accept me because I was a basically "good" person. I was also convinced He was the Ultimate Political Conservative, so I figured He would surely cut me a lot of slack on any minor points where I might be wrong.

0 comments: