Monday, April 27, 2009

The Gospel Is The Power Of God Unto Salvation

I have been meditating on the proper use and time for apologetics. Of late, that means how to communicate to Mormons in my area. There are some very active ministries here that are focused on knowing as much as they can about LDS doctrines in order to communicate the truth of the Bible to them. Many of these folks are former Mormons, so they carry a good deal of credibility for their methodology. This often produces lengthy dialogues over days, weeks or months with lost Mormons they are trying to reach. It can also result in endless rabbit trails of conversation which frankly, has often left me with a headache.

As a street preacher on the go, I keep going back to all I've learned in recent years about the sufficiency of scripture, God's sovereignty in salvation and the power of the Gospel rightly preached. If I encounter a Mormon on the street, personally, for the most part, I am going to deal with him like I would anyone else by sharing the Law and the Gospel in fullness and truth trusting God alone for the outcome.

For my brothers and sisters in Christ committed to the understanding of Mormon doctrine and beliefs in order to get "into their world", I think there is a rightful place for all of that knowledge: After the preaching of the true Gospel.

" For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek." Romans 1:16 (emphasis mine)

1 comments:

Paul Latour said...

You are right, Robert: AFTER the preaching of the true gospel. First things first.

More JWs here than Mormons. Much more. Same dilema. Same approach. AFTER the preaching of the true gospel.