Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Can Somebody Who Holds An Arminian View Be A Christian?

This topic seems to come up fairly often, so I thought I'd post from a John MacArthur Q and A.

Can you talk a little bit about Arminian theology? Is it biblical? And, if a church embraces that theology, are they saved? [Can somebody who holds an Arminian view be a Christian?”]


Answer


Yes, if you’re talking about Arminian theology. We always want to make the distinction between Armenians and Arminians. Armenians [are] a people; Arminian is a theology from Arminius. Let me just say this. This debate comes up all the time, and I like to answer the thing by saying I really don’t land, necessarily, with labels very comfortably. You know, you can be called a Calvinist or a Hyper-Calvinist or a Four-point Calvinist or…I’ve been called a Four-and-a-half-point Calvinist… One guy called me a One-point Calvinist--I don’t know how he came up with that. And people can be labeled Arminian.


I understand what they mean by that, but I, personally, try to resist those labels because those labels are loaded with different content for different people. And people love to slap a label on you and then everybody defines that label in a different way. So, I really run from those labels.
At the same time, to put it simply, the debate of Calvinism and Arminianism falls along five simple lines that we all know about called T.U.L.I.P.: Total depravity, Unconditional election, Limited atonement, Irresistible grace, and the Perseverance of the saints--T.U.L.I.P.



Click here to read the rest of this article.

4 comments:

Wayne Dawg said...

Someone asked me one morning when I was leading Sunday school what group (Calvinist or Arminian) I fell in.

I said,

"I am a Christian."

Then I was asked, "Who are the elect?"

I said, "Listen, I am a Christian who is dedicated to sharing the Gospel to ALL people. If someone repents of their sins and puts their trust in Christ to save them from the wrath on the Day of wrath, then THAT person is of the elect whom God has saved."

I'm with you on the no labels!

Angel said...

I think you left out the link to read the rest of the article ... or I am a dufus and just can't find it. :)

Shawn said...

I agree with you for the most part on labeling people. It leaves a bad taste in people's mouths at times and it is usually derogatory in the way people place those labels.

I was reading the other day though about a preacher that said something to the effect that labeling as far as denominations is a good thing. I tend to agree. Knowing the label of a denomination tells us a lot about what the people in that church believe. So we can avoid attending a church with bad doctrine just by knowing their denominational label. We basically can know what they believe before we enter the door just by which denomination they associate with.

In this way, labels are not only good, but necessary.

Robert Tewart said...

Angel. Thanks for the heads up! Blogger was behaving a little funny and didn't save the link. It's there now. Thanks.