Thursday, November 12, 2009

Defending the Pro-life View Just Takes a Little Dancing

This a valuable article from the Stand To Reason blog that appeals to my senses. Simple, pithy, and solid. Most of our coffee table apologetics could be similarly handled. The objections to Christianity or Creation come in fairly typical forms from skeptics and atheists. Keeping it simple but founded on God's truth is the key.





I was invited to publicly defend the pro-life position at Central Michigan University last Tuesday. I began by presenting a 25-minute case for the pro-life position. The first claim I defended was that the unborn is a distinct, living, and whole human being from the moment of conception. The second claim was that abortion is discrimination: it disqualifies a group of human beings (the unborn) from being valuable because of an arbitrary quality or characteristic.


Then, the audience was invited to debate me. One by one they offered their challenges. This lasted for about an hour. I anticipated most of the arguments and was able to refute the defenses for abortion. It was a good event. In the end, there was no challenge that threatened the pro-life view. It was fairly easy to answer the questions thanks to the abundant amount of scientific and philosophical support the pro-life view enjoys.




When I do an event like this, there’s a method to how I organize all the objections that are offered. I call it the “pro-life two-step.” It helps me categorize every objection in my mind so I know how to respond appropriately. The vast majority of objections against the pro-life view come in one of two forms. They either assume the unborn is not a human being. Or, they disqualify the unborn from being a valuable human being based on an arbitrary quality or characteristic. When I hear a defense for abortion, I figure out which category it falls in. Then, I can show them the misstep by appealing to one of the two claims I defended in my opening remarks.


0 comments: