Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Self RighteousAmanda


Twice a month, Clarke (Otter) and I try to make it out to Chandler/Gilbert Community College to distribute gospel tracts and engage in some one on one evangelism. Usually, the students there are willing to speak with us freely, and we end the day discussing how our conversations went. Every once in awhile, we meet someone a little more emotionally charged than most.

This encounter was actually pretty quick, only lasting around five minutes. You can hear both Clarke and me at the beginning, along with the young woman's friend, but it quickly turned to just me and her. I didn't think I was offensive in my questioning, but she had other ideas.

Listen here as I try to share the Gospel with Amanda, who proved to be pretty self-righteous and defensive. Her hope seemed to be in her good works and relationship with her pastor. Please pray that it was The Holy Spirit pricking her conscience and not anything offensive I might have said.

4 comments:

Gethsemane Baptist Church Podcast said...

I couldn't get the link to work. Looking forward to hearing it!

Robert Tewart said...

Thanks for the heads-up! I fixed the link. Hopefully there's no further problems.

Anonymous said...

She didn't sound self-righteous...Honestly, you did.

Robert Tewart said...

Her hope is in her good works and her "close relationship" with her pastor. Mine is in Christ alone.

Sometimes when listening to someone share the Gospel, it may sound like the person witnessing sounds self-righteous. But if they are standing on the Word of God and procalaiming it boldly, how can that be argued.