Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Christian Grows In Grace

 by Tullian Tchividjian

As I have mentioned before, J.I. Packer’s book Concise Theology is one of my all time favorites. I purchased it as a brand new Christian in 1994 (one year after it came out) and I have been going back to it ever since. In it, Dr. Packer sets out to unpack 100 or so key Christian doctrines. He handles doctrines like creation, predestination, spiritual gifts, the person and work of the Holy Spirit, and baptism–all in just 2-3 pages each. It is an indispensible tool for every Christian.

To give you an example of just how helpful and well-written this little book is, I am posting my favorite chapter: the one on sanctification. When I had the privilege of eating breakfast last year with Dr. Packer, I told him that this sentence from his chapter on sanctification helped sort out my confusion as a young Christian regarding who does what in the process of Christian growth: God’s method of sanctification is neither activism (self-reliant activity) nor apathy (God-reliant passivity), but God-dependent effort (2 Cor. 7:1; Phil. 3:10-14; Heb. 12:14).

I hope this little teaser prompts you to order the book. It is a theological must-have!

Continue reading......

0 comments: